Saturday, October 27, 2012


My husband's mother passed away unexpectedly, last week. He and I and our son made a rush trip to Lafayette, Louisiana for the funeral. My son said he doesn't want to go back to Louisiana again if it will always be for a funeral. My niece wrote the following obituary:

"Funeral services were held Friday, October 19, 2012 at 10:30 a.m. at Evangeline Memorial Gardens Chapel in Carencro for Norma D. Becknell, age 86, the former Norma D. Currie, who passed away Tuesday, October 16, 2012 at Lafayette General Medical Center in Lafayette. Interment in Evangeline Memorial Gardens in Carencro. The family held visiting hours from 4:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. Thursday and on Friday from 8:00 a.m. until the time of the service. Melancon Funeral Home, Evangeline Memorial Gardens Chapel, 4117 North University Avenue, was in charge of arrangements. Pastor Chad Thibodeaux, pastor of Vatican Baptist Church of Vatican, officiated at the services.

Mrs. Becknell was a native of Jackson, Mississippi and a resident of Carencro since 1994. She was a member of Missionary Baptist Church in Many, LA. She enjoyed spending time with family and friends, and she loved her dogs. Norma was a strong spirited independent woman who will be deeply missed.

Survivors include two sons, Daniel Brewer and his wife, Pam, of Lafayette and Mike Brewer and his wife, Myra, of Bismarck, Arkansas; two daughters, Rhonda Darrell Trahan and her husband, Cecil, of Lafayette, Deanne Becknell Hallam and her husband, Billy of Jasper, Texas; one brother, H.C. "Jack" Cooper and his wife, Minnie, of Coushatta; one sister, Betty Huston, of Boise, Idaho; and eleven grandchildren, Crystal Snider and her husband, Mike, Jenny Shelton her husband, Colt, Erica Miller and her husband, Darrel, and Laura Brewer all of Carencro, Tess Blanchard, Josh Brewer, Allison Reed, and J.W. Rourk all of Lafayette, Sonny Brewer of Bismarck, Arkansas, Roni Becknell Sadler of Fort Worth, Texas, and James "Beau" Fisher of San Marcos, Texas. Ten great grandchildren, Ashley Hilton, Anthony "Craig" Baldi, Allison Jacob, Grant Arceneaux, Chloe Brewer, Trinity Brewer, Lexi Clifton, Logan Clifton, Molly Reed, and Andrew Grettner. Two great-great grandchildren Zoey Hilton, Anthony Craig Baldi, Jr. Long time caregiver and special friend Angela Boutin as well as a host of nieces, nephews and friends.

She was preceded in death by her husband, Lynn "Gadget" Becknell; her parents, S.D. Currie and the former Mabel Du Pree' both of Magee Mississippi; two sons, Ronald Bruce Becknell and Ronald Brewer; granddaughter Eva Baldi and one sister, Myrtice Anderson.

The following are some heartfelt notes to show how much Norma (Nomo to her grandkids) was loved...

Allison Brewer Reed
Norma Becknell 1926 - 2012
The last of my remaining grandparents passed away today. She was one tough old bitch. There is no doubt in my mind where I get my stubborn pigheadedness, and fire filled zest for life. RIP Nomo.

Crystal Snider

I lost a piece of my heart today as I watched my grandmother take her last breath. The love I hold for you will be eternal, I will be strong just as you always were, I will always carry your memory, as well as all the time we shared, and when it is my time to leave this earth I know you will be by my side to welcome me - or fuss and ask me what took so long. I love you, always, and like I said earlier you are a big part of my "everything" I love you nomo

Alley Jacob
Today, My family and I mourn due to the loss of a person we held close to our hearts, Nomo. She was a terrific person, and she definitely made her mark in our lives. While reminiscing,please remember, "Time doesn't fly, It makes memories." What matters is each moment she spent with us was treasured, not how long ago it was. She touched our hearts at some point, and for that she will never be forgotten. We love and miss you so much, Nomo. Rest in Peace. ♥

Laura Brewer
We gained a new angel this afternoon. Nomo you will be missed by many. We all loved you very much. Thank you for everything you have taught me over the years. I'll love you forever and you will never be forgotten. I have already started telling Andrew about all of our memories together. Give pa hugs and kisses for all of us!

Deanna Becknell Hallam
I went to visit my stepmom in Lafayette Friday, and I am so thankful for that visit because today she passed on. She went home....and I am sure my father was waiting for her with open arms. She was my mother for 40 years, and she helped me through some very tough times. She was a loving lady that was never afraid to give you a kick if you needed it.....I loved her very much. Very much

Jennifer Shelton

RIP Norma "Nomo" Becknell she was fiery and tough and definitely had more strength than anyone in this world... I love u Nomo always and when u get to those pearly gates give pa gadget uncle Ronnie and big momma lots of love from all of us... Miss u already :(

Myra Maggard Brewer
Sad news today as Mike's mother Norma Becknell died about noon. Rest in Peace, Nomo! We all love you and you will always live on in our memories. It has always been a treasure to know you!

Crystal Snider (October 17, 2012)
Today will be the first day I face without you, I find comfort in knowing that you are in peace, but find a void within myself from the moment you left. Every ounce of my soul misses you. I am lost. God grant me strength.

Crystal Snider (Friday, October 19, 2012)
My grandmothers service touched my heart, i had only intended to give her the send off that she was worthy of. Not only did I feel that was accomplished, but both sides of my family came out and supported and comforted one another, my friends and Hulco family showed me love and support. I don't know what the future will hold, I know that I'll have to adjust to life without her, which will be hard, this morning when I left my house I passed up the funeral home and found myself getting ready to go to her house, as if my heart was on autopilot. Checking in on her had become second nature, so that will be a hard habit to break. I love you nomo.

Jennifer Shelton (Friday October 19, 2012)
My NoMo's funeral was beautiful My big sister did such an amazing job I'm so proud of her :-) and thank u uncle mark for all of ur help and thank u for all of my wonderful family and friends getting together and helping each other through this hard time... Nomo u will be missed sorely as we love u do much... I will cherish always every moment and memory we shared and every lesson u taught me I love u Nomo may u rest in peace and watch over all of us always

Laura Brewer (Friday October 19, 2012)
Today was heart breaking! I want to take this time to thank everyone for their love, support, and prayers for my family and I. A special thank you to Katie for taking care of little man today. Rest in peace Nomo. Don't forget to keep an eye on all of us. —

Mike Brewer
As heavy as my heart was to watch my Mother's funeral today, I was glad to be surrounded with so many friends, and family that knew and loved her. A very special thanks to my niece Crystal who stayed with my Mother, her Grandmother, through these last few weeks and put together a beautiful service that I am sure would of made my mother smile. For years it was Crystal and her Mother that helped my Mother stay self sufficient and words can never express how much I appreciated being able to know they were there to check on her, bring her food, and lend any help they could. My Mother was not big on public signs of emotion, but I know how much she appreciated them being a daily part of her life. We should all be so lucky to have such caring people around us in times of need.




No comments:

Post a Comment