Wednesday, March 9, 2011

There'll be a change in the weather. There's a change in the sea...

Yesterday (March 8) about four in the afternoon Dr. Carpenter and Dr. Nicholas both came to Mike's room to talk to him.  I had thought it was the promised visit where Dr. Nicholas would tell Mike all about his surgery to come on Thursday morning.  But that was not the case...(Maybe I do understand why they call what doctors do 'practice'.)

No surgery scheduled.  Yet.  Instead tomorrow/today/on Wednesday, Mike will get a cast on his leg to keep it immobile for the present time and he will be allowed to go home, then come back in about a week...on Friday, March 18 for his leg to be checked and more than likely his staples from the surgery on Monday will be removed.  We'll see how well he will be doing then.  Meanwhile he'll be on crutches...a thing he will be taught how to walk with today with his new cast on.  Mike will visit the doctor to see how well he heals, at first once a week, then once a month  If he is not able to walk with a cast on crutches today or if he is not doing well we'll stay again tonight and go home tomorrow.  He seems to be doing fine though, so we might be released to go home tonight for Mike to sleep in his own bed and we'll be back to the norm..except that Mike will be carrying a cast on his leg while he moves around with crutches, while his leg heals from his tumor removal surgery.  There does not seem to be a lot of hope that his tibia will heal and that he'll be able to walk on it again....but it will be given a chance to heal before a surgery so invasive as a knee replacement.

That's what we had planned in the beginning.   No plan B!  We are planning to go home.  And I will be glad of it   It matters little to me whether Mike is recouperating from tumor removal surgery or knee replacement surgery.  I'll be watching him heal either way.  And it seems to me as if Mike wants to give this current surgery a chance to heal rather than go in for a new one tomorrow... it's still the same!

From now on there'll be a change in me.  My walk will be different, my talk and my name.  Nothing about me gonna be the same...I'm gonna change my way of living, and if that ain't enough, I'll even change the way I strut my stuff....There'll be some changes made

And we change back to the same.  (Except that I'll have a change of clothes.  I only brought what I was wearing and a set of scrubs to wear at night thinking we'd be back home by today!)

I invited Mike to write here...and maybe he will.  Or maybe he will google and chatter on his own blog.  It's all the same to me...Nobody loves you when you are old and grey.  There'll be some changes made!

No comments:

Post a Comment